Résumé for Geni Cavitt
Results-driven media professional with more than 30 years of experience in communications and broadcast journalism. Multi-faceted communications producer/writer/editor with established record of success in organizing and hosting community events, and bringing clarity and order to reporting in the dynamic and competitive news arena. High credibility and positive recognition factor throughout San Diego County.
Cavitt Productions – West Coast, San Diego, CA 2011 to Present
Voice-over, On-camera, Narration, Photography Editing, Sales and Business Administration. Clients include:
- Sisters of Nazareth, current contract.
Co-authoring the Nazareth House biography. Archiving the history of the Sisters of Nazareth from their arrival in San Diego in 1924 to present day.
- A New Path (Parents for Addition Treatment & Healing, contracted from 2011 to 2016.
Served as Director of Operations, including fundraising, emceeing events, videography and photography. Developed and managed the Naloxone/Narcan Overdose Prevention Program.
San Diego City Council District 7, San Diego, CA 2009 to 2011
Director of Communications
- Advanced councilmember’s mission, vision and brand through the strategic application of print and broadcast media.
- Developed annual strategic communication plan to leverage all District 7 office initiatives toward effective messaging.
- Managed media relations to ensure accurate and respectful coverage.
- Coordinated community relations activities that positioned councilmember as a true advocate of her constituency.
- Drove branding efforts to build councilmember’s image throughout greater San Diego.
- Produced news releases and newsletters that kept District 7 constituents-in-the-know.
KGTV-TV 10 NEWS, (McGraw-Hill Broadcasting), San Diego, CA 2001 to 2009
Weather Anchor/General Assignment Reporter
- Served as integral member of award-winning on-air news team that enhanced and maintained a competitive edge in the San Diego market.
- Produced/shot/wrote/edited compelling individual stories into revenue generating 10-News Leadership Award specials.
- Crystallized complex news events into easily understood news bytes.
- Mentored interns and new hires to help build Channel 10’s talent base.
- Developed proficiency in computer technology to deliver clear and concise weather graphics and reports.
- Represented Channel 10 as celebrity guest host of multiple community events to enhance the station’s reputation as a responsible corporate citizen.
- Guest appearance on Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
KFMB-TV NEWS 8, San Diego, CA 1993 to 2001
Weather Anchor/Reporter, Traffic Anchor/Reporter
- Played key role on team that positioned KFMB-TV as the dominant morning news program.
- Served as first live morning weather reporter in San Diego, setting the live broadcast trend that all local stations emulate.
- Developed and delivered weather and traffic reports that helped strengthen and maintain KFMB’s ratings leader position.
- Trained new employees and coached on-camera presence to talent transitioning from radio to television, some of whom have gone on to higher visibility jobs in San Diego and larger markets.
- Represented Channel 8 in numerous community and charity events as program host.
- Guest weather anchor on CBS This Morning, New York, NY, 1994 and 1995.
760 KFMB-AM, San Diego, CA 1981 to 1994
Radio Personality, Show Host
- Clark & Cavitt Middays.
- Sunday Morning Sports Talk.
- Extensive San Diego MLB and NFL coverage.
- Co-Producer and Host of Disaster Preparedness Film for Coronado Police and Fire Departments and American Radio Relay League (ARRL).
- Provided special events support for: the San Diego Police Department, Historical Association, Girl Scouts of America, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, Burn Institute, Salvation Army, Muscular Dystrophy Association, and Multiple Sclerosis Society.
- Hosted Muscular Dystrophy Association Jerry Lewis Labor Day Telethons, Children’s Hospital Telethons, San Diego Humane Society Telethon, Easter Seals Telethon, Children’s Hospital Radiothon.
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
- Association of Fundraising Professionals Outstanding Celebrity Volunteer
- Soroptimist International Woman of Accomplishment
- Girl Scouts of America “10 Coolest Women” of San Diego
- National Alliance on Mental Health Media Champion Inspiration Award
- Irish Congress of San Diego Woman of the Year
- Muscular Dystrophy Association Volunteer of the Year
- Fashion Group International Media Award
Available upon request.